There is no firm evidence to support the myths regarding when fruits should be taken. A lot of people get confused after reading and hearing several myths about when they can eat fruit. Fruits can be taken with or without meals. It can be taken at any time you want to. Exception to this should be a personal decision based on a medical condition like diabetes or even working on a plan to loose weight.
Fruits has essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants which helps the body to clear toxins. You can eat any fruit you want to provided you do not have any underlining medical condition that restrict some particular fruits. It is better to eat the fruit of the season because this tends to be cheaper, readily available and fresh. You do not need to spend so much to buy fruits.
Table of Contents
Lets analyze some facts about fruit intake
- Taking fruit first thing in the morning gives you a sense of fullness. It gives you a sense of satisfaction because of the fiber content. This reduces the quantity of food you eat in the morning. Fruits also contains calorie that can supply you the energy you need even if you do not feel like eating any other meal. Subsequently, this can make you loose weight because you are not taking excess calorie.
- Taking fruit with meals makes the food in your stomach stay for a longer time. Fruit tends to slow down digestion as it contains significant amount of fiber. Moreover, this does not make the food in your stomach ferment as your digestive system is capable of handling and processing any food taken. The food in your stomach is digested gradually and this prevent you from eating too much or frequently thereby enhancing weight loss.
- You can take fruit in the afternoon with or without meals. It does not affect digestion. Some people claim it makes your blood sugar shoot up while some believe it awakens your digestive system and make you eat more. The truth is any meal taken in the afternoon whether fruit or other food awaken your digestive system. Regarding any meal taken at night, this should be 3-4 hours before bed. If you do not have such luxury of hours before bed, fruit will be a better option to take as dinner. Taking fruit with meal at night and going to bed immediately can affect your sleep pattern.
- It is also advisable for people with diabetes to take fruit with meal as this slows digestion and releases glucose into the blood stream in a gradual process. This prevent sudden rise in blood sugar few hours after eating and a sudden drop few hours later. This maintains their blood sugar for hours after eating due to the gradual release of glucose into the blood stream. Taking fruit few hours before or after meal can even bring about a sudden rise in their blood sugar which can be dangerous for their health.
- It is worthy of note that taking whole fruit is preferable to fruit juices. When you extract the juice in your fruit, it reduces the fiber content. Taking this can rather make you gain weight. This is because it doesn’t give you any sense of fullness and you tend to take more food to compensate. It also does not slow down digestion because the juice has little or no fiber.
You can take fruit anytime you want to with or without meals. Fruit is preferable as dinner if you cannot stay awake for 3-4 hours after dinner. Ensure you take whole fruit and not extracted or processed one.
Leave a Reply